I was craving stuffed peppers. Not sure why…. so after browsing the internet, I stumbled upon this recipe from A Table Spoon of Oil. I made a couple of minor changes, but it turned out wonderfully delicious!
1lb lean ground turkey
Ground cumin, coriander, red chili pepper, garlic powder, salt, pepper
1 medium white onion
1 bunch cilantro
Pace picante sauce
2 poblano peppers
Mexican cheese mix
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2) Place 2 tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add ground turkey, seasonings (1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, salt/pepper to your taste). Stir.
3) Once turkey is browned, add onions and half of cilantro. Sir occasionally. Set aside to let cool.
4) Grab baking pan and cover with aluminum foil (I avoid washing dishes as much as possible!). After washing poblano peppers…slice off base (with stem) and de-seed. Stuff the pepper with ground turkey mix. Can add some cheese to the mix if desired. Once stuffed, place small amount of aluminum foil along open end of pepper to help seal contents in. Place both peppers into baking pan and into the oven. Bake at 425 F for 15-20 minutes.
5) Once baking is complete, top with Mexican cheese mix and place back in oven for 3-5 minutes. Once cheese is melted, take out of oven and let it sit at room temp for 5 minutes.
I served the stuffed pepper on top of a bed of shredded cabbage with a side spring salad dressed with my fish taco sauce that I had made several days beforehand. It was delicious! Easy beginner dish!