My Bear absolutely loves sweets. I’m currently still in the transition of going paleo and eating clean, however, one can indulge every now and then, right? Last Thanksgiving, we hosted both our families and I was stressing to figure out what to prepare. I have minimal baking experience. So I needed something easy and straightforward and most of all tasty! I stumbled upon this recipe and it was a hit. It’s one of my Bear’s fave fall recipes — and he loves cream cheese. It was a great compromise for flavor (cheese cake is appalling to me, but it’s my Bear’s fave) and texture. For all the new bakers out there, give this recipe a try (see link at the bottom: huge props to The Novice Chef for this outstanding recipe!).
PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE SWIRL MUFFINS
yield: 18 MUFFINS
prep time: 12 MINUTES
cook time: 18 MINUTES
total time: 30 MINUTES
- FOR THE MUFFINS
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin (pure pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE FROSTING/SWIRL
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place paper baking cups into muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin spice, baking soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, until there are no lumps. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Top each muffin with about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter. This will not look smooth, but it will bake up much prettier.
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
© The Novice Chef – http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2015/11/pumpkin-cream-cheese-swirl-muffins/