This was one of my childhood favorites. If I wasn’t feeling well, I would drink the broth. I loved the tenderness of the chicken after being boiled. There was a ton of flavor! And I used to love pouring the sauce over rice as I really disliked the texture and blandness of white rice. Thank you Mimi for teaching me one of my faves!
- 5 drumsticks (may be frozen or thawed)
- 5 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- One Thai Chile or red pepper flakes
- One small dab of honey or agave (very small)
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- One bag of Asian spice pouch (either brand found at the Asian market) — see pics below
2. Once boiling, skim off fat before adding spices.
3. Add all spices. Stir well to make sure all ingredients are mixed. Water should still be boiling at this point. Boil one minute longer after all ingredients mixed well.
5. Turn off heat after 30 minutes.
You may use liquid as broth. It’s great for soup, broth to drink, rice topper, seasoning of veggies, etc.
THE FINAL PRODUCT